Biocatalysis is bringing novel, yet proven approaches to synthetic chemistry that will significantly advance innovation, development and manufacturing processes in diverse application areas.
Already used widely in the development of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and intermediates, biocatalysis offers a much more sustainable approach to traditional chemistry.
In fact, when you consider the advantages of biocatalysis over traditional chemistry, the benefits are clear.
Biocatalysis is more efficient and more cost-effective. The biocatalyst is non-toxic and biodegradable.
Additionally, a Codexis biocatalyst is customizable. This is because we can apply our CodeEvolver® directed evolution technology to improve the biocatalyst for a given process, if and when needed. The result? A faster, more efficient means of drug development.
Delivering more sustainable processes and producing minimal waste, biocatalysis can also produce higher yields than traditional chemistry.
As a global leader in biocatalysis, Codexis has already partnered with several of the world’s premier pharmaceutical companies, and is serving customers in biofuels, fine chemicals, animal health, food and nutrition, flavors and fragrances, and agrochemicals.
Codexis biocatalysis, at-a-glance:
- High-performance enzymes – for more efficient, faster reactions, and higher quality products.
- Screening kits and panels – you test in your labs without the need to invest in specialized equipment.
- Scalable – from grams to kilos to tons, we can develop optimized enzymes in weeks, and scale up to full commercial production in months.
- Adaptable – biocatalytic processes are run in multi-purpose manufacturing plants and do not require elevated pressures and extreme temperatures. They can also be telescoped for a longer reaction sequence.
- Cleaner and more environmentally friendly – can replace traditional chemistry processes, resulting in much less hazardous waste to dispose of.
- Faster process development – by minimizing need for process changes when scaling up.
- Exceptionally cost-effective – through more efficient processes that use fewer manufacturing steps, with faster reaction times that deliver higher product yields.